at the CROUS of Lille :
Tel. : 03 20 33 77 32
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
HELPING FOREIGN STUDENTS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEMS THEY MEET WITH
The Foreign Department receives foreign students, helps them to solve their problems as soon as they arrive in France and makes their installation easier : it guides them towards the right services, it helps them to find some accommodation and to make their administrative enquiries. The department receives and examines all the applications for admission to a university residence made by the foreign students whose parents do not live in France.
FINDING INDIVIDUAL ACCOMMODATION
As the housing capacity in university residences is limited, it will not be possible to satisfy all the applications. Priority will be given to :
1. the students who get a grant from the French government (" BGF " grant holders), or from foreign governments (" BGE " grant holders), or from international organizations and to private students dependent on an agreement concluded between the CNOUS /CROUS and universities run by the CNOUS.
2. the " BGF " and " BGE " grant holders supervised by the EGIDE.
3. the students who follow a programme of European mobility and of exchanges between universities dependent on agreements concluded between the CROUS and higher education establishments.
4. the foreign students who have been placed in the care of the school and university student welfare services by the EDUFRANCE agency.
5. the students registered for a third cycle ( in so far as there are rooms available).
- For the foreign students whose parents do not live in France and who are in France during the academic year, the application for accommodation must be made between January 15th and April 30th of each year on the website of the CROUS : crous-lille.fr ( article : " International ").
- For the foreign students who are in their native countries during the academic year 2004/2005 and who would like to study in France in 2005/2006 : only the students belonging to one of the five categories listed earlier may apply for accommodation from April 1st. Their application must be made on the website of the CROUS : crous-lille.fr (article : " International ").
FINDING ACCOMMODATION AS A JOINT TENANT
The foreign students whose parents do not live in France must, as early as January 15th, withdraw from the Foreign Department of the CROUS a file for being awarded some accommodation as joint tenants in a university residence or in a council house (= " H.L.M. "). This file must be returned to the Foreign Department before April 30th. The applications which will not have been satisfied as well as the late applications will be put on a waiting list and satisfied according to possible withdrawals.
ASSUMING THE ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPORT OF GRANT HOLDERS
The Foreign Department takes care of the " B.G.F. " grant holders as well as of the " BGE " grant holders coming from countries which have concluded agreements with France. The department receives them, helps them with their administrative enquiries, keeps an eye on the good progress of their studies, assumes the pedagogical follow-up in collaboration with the higher education establishments, carries out the payment of grants and supplementary benefits.(It is worth bearing in mind that, in order to get a grant from the French government, students have to apply to the cultural services of the French embassy located in their native country.)
ORGANIZING CULTURAL OUTINGS
In order to introduce the region and France, the Foreign Department regularly suggests to the grant holders supervised by the CROUS exhibitions, trips, excursions or guided visits.
THE ROBERT BOSCH FOUNDATION
Every year the Foreign Department collects for the educational district of Lille the candidatures for the programme of tutorial studies in Germany organized by the Robert Bosch foundation. This programme, intended for French students, should help them to go deeper into their knowledge of Germany. It should also enable German students to improve their knowledge of the French language and culture. The candidates are required to hold a " licence ". The candidatures are generally received in December and January for the next school year.
THE FRANCO-GERMAN CARD
The Franco-German card issued by the Foreign Department allows French students to have their meals in German university restaurants and gives free access to German university residences ( price of the card : 2,20€).
TWINNINGS AND EXCHANGES
The CROUS is twinned with the " Studentenwerk " of Cologne (Germany). This partnership was extended to the university of Lisbon in 1995. These twinnings make exchanges of students and staff members possible.
A PRACTICAL PIECE OF INFORMATION : THE RESIDENCE PERMIT
The foreign students who are not under the jurisdiction of the European Union and stay in France for more than three months are required to have a residence permit drawn up by the international service of the Prefecture : Cité Administrative, 2, rue de Tournai in Lille. However, the foreign students of some establishments can apply for this permit to their establishment and not to the Prefecture.
The following documents are requisite :
- a valid passport,
- a visa for a long stay ( issued by the French Consulate in the student's native country) as well as a proof of his /her arrival in France ( such as , for example, the arrival seals on the passport, the plane ticket…),
- a birth certificate for the first application,
- a certificate of registration in an educational establishment conferring the status of student,
- a written proof of his/her having a place of residence,
- a certificate attesting his/her getting an income (430€ to 536€ a month according to the academic standard for the school year 2005/2006) or a grant,
- 4 identity photos.
The residence permit will be issued for a year. In order to avoid being in an illegal situation, the student will have to get it renewed within two months before its expiration.